Friday, January 4, 2008

Seize the Day!

I have noticed that a lot of people don’t want to make any New Year’s Resolutions for fear of setting themselves up for failure. So this morning, I started to write an entry about intentional living; a serious topic addressing resolve and passion and goals and such. I find it totally amusing that my work-laden day was quickly set aside when Cupcake (youngest daughter) suggested we should go shopping in Destin today. “Brilliant idea”, I responded. I took an hour to complete the most pressing details on my desk and off we went for a grand afternoon. Destin is an hour’s drive from our house and boasts a great outlet mall for starters (Banana Republic had some irresistible sales). I needed flatware at the Oneida store but bought clothes at Banana instead… all in the spirit of the day of fun. The Destin Commons is a new shopping area that has her favorites, Abercrombie and Hollister. My favorites are there as well – Ann Taylor Loft and White House Black Market. All of this great shopping is right along the gulf coast with gorgeous white beaches and sparkling green water to be enjoyed along the drive.

Added to that, a last minute call to my cousin revealed that her sister from Tennessee was at the beach house with her daughter today, so we had a laughter-filled hour with them. News, updates, stories (we are all storytellers!) while looking out over the gulf and sitting in front of the fireplace. What a great day. My mother is an identical twin, and these cousins are daughters of my mom’s twin. We have always considered ourselves half sisters because of the similarities in our mothers. We had the benefit of spending every childhood summer together at our grandmother’s beach house at Ft. Walton Beach, which forged life-long bonds of friendship.

So nothing about today seemed intentional or planned, but the day was filled with family, love laughter and fun. I can get my work done tomorrow. Which actually fits quite perfectly with my goals. Carpe Diem!

1 comment:

Uncommon Blonde said...

I wish I could have been there!! Sounds like it was wonderful and I look forward to more details on your purchases ... You know how I feel about seizing opportunities - you only live once!