Thursday, January 17, 2008

Don’t Breathe!

This Daffodil was feeling smashed last night. When I mean smashed, I mean literally. I went for a mammogram yesterday. The only funny part is that the technician would totally compress my body in this gigantic woman-eating machine and then say “don’t breathe”. Like I could if I wanted to. I Googled “blogs, mammogram” to see if anyone had found anything funny to say about the procedure. I was humbled and sobered that all of the entries I found were from people who had been diagnosed with breast cancer. So I don’t want to be negative about such an important preventive procedure. I guess I’ll just put it in the category of my least favorite things, which would include any procedure that involves pain or blood. I’m a bonafide wuss. I knew this to be true early in my life when I fainted when I got my ears pierced. No kidding. I almost fainted when I watched Cupcake (youngest daughter) get hers pierced. I passed this tendency along to Uncommon Blonde. Her story could be repeated with many variations by the two of us.

An interesting note is that I had 3 babies that all weighed more than 9 pounds without any anesthetics and thought that was fine. My theory is that is a natural process so that makes it okay. I guess the quote I mentioned last week, “the pain of discipline is better than the pain of regret” comes into play again with yesterday’s experience. I wonder if that will be a theme of this new year. Oh - can't forget to be very grateful that my report was normal! Thank God!

3 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

at least mammograms don't make you faint too. Gotta look for the positive in these situations :)

Merrie said...

Glad the report was normal. Always good news.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I laughed very hard at my daughter's comment. I had intended to write more, but my husband came in and said we needed to go someplace immediately so I meant to hit "save" - but instead hit "post"...
One day I may add the words I had intended. Mainly I wanted to job my mother's memory a little and give her a picture of something she loves.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

This is actually a very deep post, which is a difficult thing to do in a short length. That's good writing, girl. And I think it's OK to laugh at this process; I know I have talked about it on my blog. It's a bizarre thing, after all, even though it does a world of good for women. Great quote, great post, Beverly!