Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Inertia to Momentum

Newton’s physical law of motion says “an object will remain at rest, or continue to move at a constant velocity unless an external force acts upon it.” I pick momentum over inertia any day. I am becoming reacquainted with the whole concept of how much energy it takes to move from inertia to momentum in business. I have owned my own businesses every since college days and at times have owned more than one. (Not to mention the ongoing unpaid opportunity to assist Builderman (husband) in his contracting business.) At one point, I had built up a decent part-time business as a professional speaker. This is something I really LOVE to do… it always tickled me pink to get paid for something that I enjoy so much. I put that business on “pause” about 5 years ago when I was putting a supreme effort into launching a new business and learning the ins and outs of internet marketing. Now that I want to rekindle that business that I enjoyed so much, I find that I literally have to start over. Seems like a daunting task when I have already paid my dues once and spent years building a business and a referral network. I suspect that career pauses are quite common, especially in the lives of women, as we move through the phases of raising a family and flexing with the ever-changing demands on our time. So today, I am getting ready to start the push to regain momentum. My philosophizing is often on the level of Fulghum who wrote “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.” I find inspiration today thinking of “The Little Engine That Could”. I need to START! I’ll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

I know you can, I know you can!!

photochick said...

Hi there. I read your daughter's blog and hopped on over when I saw you in her list.

I wouuld love to get into communication training seminars on subjects like gender communication, conflict resolution, public speaking, etc. Any pointers??

I had a professer in grad school who had sucessfully navigated these waters, but it seemed her entry was politically related.

Good luck with your endeavor! What type of speaking do you do?

Beverlydru said...

Photochick - the best article I have found on getting started is
http://johnspence.com/blog/?p=21.
Lots of lots of work but I think that is a realistic picture.
Anything is possible, to those who believe!

photochick said...

So to clarify my crazy obsession for adding one more thing to my plate . . . my real desire is to take my rear home to be with my kiddo during the day!

In my overactive mind, I think that a combination of communication seminars coupled with photography, I might just be able to replace my salary. I know it would be a lot of work. I'm fine with work. I just prefer work that allows me to not drag my two year old out of the house before 8 a.m. on most days. :-)

Thanks for the article. I'll check it out.

Ms.AnneMarie said...

Moving forward toward your vision! How cool is that!