Monday, January 14, 2008

It’s Not For Me To Know

I couldn’t find my copy of Og Mandino’s book “The Greatest Salesman in the World” today when I needed to re-read the chapter on persistence. “I Will Persist Until I Succeed” is the scroll I was looking for. I actually have parts of the book somewhat memorized. I remember it says, “It is not for me to know how many steps it will take to complete my journey, or how many strikes of the axe it will take to fell the tree." It’s not for me know. My job is to keep going. (By the way, this book is not for salespeople, it’s for everybody. A classic on success in life.)

I’m a whole week into my weight watcher’s re-commitment and guess how much I lost in my first week? Zip. That’s right. Zero. I followed the plan and have my food tracker as proof. So does this mean the program does not work? Nope. I have experience with this. It seems like a lot of people lose a lot their first week and get really excited. On the other hand, my body seems to put on the brakes and say, “Ok, you want to eat less, then I am going to burn less.” Yes, I exercised 4 out of 7 days. Could be better, I know. The good news is persistence will prevail. I was watching “The Biggest Loser” last week and most of the people had not lost much that week. One woman gained a pound. Nothing was said about the tricks your metabolism plays, plateaus (if you never knew anyone who could plateau right out of the gate, now you do) or the fact that muscle weighs more than fat and this can reflect in your weekly weigh-ins. Granted, I can’t claim that one. It’s a good thing I made a commitment to this plan and told you about it. Otherwise, I could fall back on “It just doesn’t work.” Bah humbug. It’s not for me to know exactly how long it will take. I just need to follow the plan with resolve. Persistence? I’m in.

4 comments:

Sissy Hand said...

I re-joined weight watchers last week as well. Tonight is my weigh in. I hope I lose some, but I totally agree with what you say about persistence. We can do it! We just need to hang in there!

Anonymous said...

ummmm . . . pretty sure i gained some. is that possible? i feel so icky. i promised myself 3 weeks and then i'll re-evaluate if this is for me. i have a trip to dc next week anyway, and what other "diet" could you eat as easily on the road. so i'm in.

let's hope . . .

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Thanks Bev for your comment. I don't know if I will ever write or not. I want to do what my beautiful God wants me to do. I have found great success in knocking on the door of college admissions. My son won the High School Heisman; my children were Coca Cola scholars...but, in the end, if you have all that they have and you don't have "Love" what do you really have? I have raised 4 great kids against all odds. I am toying with the idea of publishing but don't quite know where God is leading at this point. Hope your daughter's dreams are full of faith and vision for what she can become for HIM, to HIM. The Other Bev

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

ps - I have not written anything on my blog about scholarships and probably won't. If I do, it will be through another venue. Just wanted you to know so you wouldn't spend your time looking for that topic on my blog. I've never even mentioned anything about it. Thanks again for the comment. from the Other Bev