Monday, March 16, 2009

Fit for a King

“Hallelujah” is the only word I know that is the same in every language. Last week I heard a speaker say it means “the highest praise”. I went on the hunt in study because I thought it translated as “Praise the Lord”. What I discovered is that it does mean “Praise Yahweh”. I can see why it can be called the highest praise for several reasons.

1) In Revelation 19, there is a sound of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters thundering “Hallelujah”. I can only imagine the sound. Wow. It’s a victory celebration. There’s great comfort in reading the last chapter of The Book for assurance that everything’s going to turn out more than alright.

2) Unity is a glorious thing. I recall attending an international Aglow convention where women from more than 100 nations were in attendance. The language barrier often kept us from sharing more than a “Hallelujah” and a smile. But it was enough. We were able to connect. Hallelujah in that context spoke unity and love.

3) The Hallelujah Chorus in Handel’s Messiah is a stunning musical masterpiece. In many parts of the world, it is the accepted practice for the audience to stand for this section of the performance. Interesting Fact: Tradition has it that King George II rose to his feet at this point. As the first notes of the triumphant Hallelujah Chorus rang out, the king rose. Royal protocol has always demanded that whenever the monarch stands, so does everyone in the monarch's presence. As was and is the custom, one stands in the presence of royalty as a sign of respect. The Hallelujah chorus clearly places Christ as the King of Kings.

I leave you to a happier Monday now. If you say it out loud, it becomes a A NEW Hallelujah! Micahel W. Smith has it going on too… over HERE.

9 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Great thoughts!! I'm going to have to go listen to the Hallelujah Chorus now!!

Melanie said...

Our worship team sings a song that begins, "Give Him the highest praise for He is worthy to be lifted up..."
Amen & Hallelujah!
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Kelly said...

Amen! It is better than yee-haw for sure.

Linda Hoye said...

Hallelujah indeed!!!

Leaon Mary said...

I love that word.
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
I heard thee coolest thought that... when everything goes TO POT... and you're having a day that truly just STINKS....
JUST HALLELUJAH ANYWAYS!

AMEN*

Ballerina Girl said...

Hallelujah!
Great post to honor our King!
BG

Kathleen said...

Hey ... I found your blog! And what a lovely blog it is. I especially like your "daffodil" connection. Though I live in Arizona now, I long lived in the Orting Valley near Seattle WA, where daffodils bloomed in profusion this time of year.

I'll be back ...

P.S. I hope you don't mind, but I added you to my blog list?

Greg C said...

I love that word. I wrote a while back about several similar words that make me smile.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Enjoyed your thoughts. I too love Handel's Messiah, and especially the Hallelujah Chorus. I used to sing in our church choir and always loved it when we could work on pieces from Handel's Messiah at Christmas time.