Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Bazillion Cookies

I made cookies for the past two days. I decided to test a recipe that has been in my recipe box for years that claims to make 10 dozen cookies. Trust me, it makes more than that. It seemed as if the bowl was bottomless. This is the infamous "Neiman-Marcus Cookie Recipe". You know, the one that was forwarded around the internet for years because someone had supposedly been charged $250 for something they thought was $2.50. (Not true)

Speaking of which, I forward very few emails because so many of them are not true. If you are not familiar with Snopes.com, it's a place to research online rumors to see if they are fact or fiction. Most of the stories in forwarded emails are fiction. You can read the story behind the cookie recipe at Snopes or just bake some delicious cookies.

I wanted to make enough to take to the guys at the fire station as well as have some for here at the house. I had PLENTY. I shared with two additional households that I hadn't planned on. I should have taken a picture of the cookie mountain, but I was too tired after all that baking. They were a hit!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups butter
4 cups flour
2 tsp. soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal**
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

** measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

Beverly's note: I cut back on the chocolate chips and put 2 cups instead of 3. I also skipped grating the Hershey Bar. Too much work. : ) There was still plenty of choclate in my opinion.


If you want more delicious recipes, click over to I Throw Like a Girl for Saturday Stirrings.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I am the queen of debunking myths. Whenever I receive one of these "forward to everyone you know" emails, I "snope" it, and then reply to all the false-ality of it (I think I just made up a word).

I too have made this delicious recipe, however, but I usually 1/2 it.

Merrie said...

I love cookies! They are my weakness. These are some of my favorite. I used to make them years ago when all my children were home. I don't make them as often now because I would be guilty of eating
ALL gazillion of them personally.
I am also very careful about what I forward in emails. Too much false informantion makes the rounds.

My ADHD Me said...

I used to believe too many of the forwarded emails. Especially ones from "soldiers". CK introduced me to Snopes....quite an eye opener.
The cookies sound great I am an awful cook. I avoid it whenever possible. Things just never turn out tasting very good. :)

My ADHD Me said...

I just read your Sarah Palin post. I KNEW I liked you!!

Kelly said...

p.s. Why oh why would anyone cut back on the chocolate? Woman, have you gone mad? LOL!!!

Just kidding - I just happen to love chocolate.

Farrah said...

I love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! I even put extras in the freezer! Mmmmmmm! :-)