Friday, February 15, 2008

Who me?

I have always loved Gideon. I'm sure you remember the story. He’s the guy who was hiding in the winepress to thresh wheat because the land was full of enemies. An angel showed up and said to Gideon, “Hey you! Mighty Man of Valor!” Gideon looked around wondering,”Who me? Who are you talking to?” And the angel warrior points at him. This has always made me laugh. Who hasn’t felt inadequate and fearful and thought “moi?!” Who hasn’t been found hiding behind walls (often of our own making) that offer perceived protection against our enemies?

I find myself constantly needing to move out in courage that I don’t feel to conquer enemies with names like doubt, fear and comfort. How can comfort be an enemy? Ahh- comfort zones can certainly keep us in the land of safety, security and the status quo. I’m pretty sure we aren’t designed to stay the same.

Enough about me, let’s get back to Gideon. The angel of the Lord told Gideon to “Go in the strength that you have and I will be with you.” What a great thing to know! But he was still afraid. (You see why I relate to this guy?) So he snuck out at night to do the first part of what he was supposed to do. He still got the job done and wasn’t penalized for being a chicken. The next chapter in Judges tells the fascinating story of the victory of Gideon’s army. But once again, Gideon has to be reassured beyond what would even seem reasonable. But God was patient with him and an awesome victory resulted.What seems small and inadequate in our sight can be mighty if God is with us. Is that good news or what?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your encouraging words. I will be back to "visit" here again!
~Carol (i throw like a girl)

Merrie said...

What a powerful word that I sure needed to hear. I have battled with feelings of inadequacy (like in spelling ability) in so many areas and it has held me back and hindered me from moving ahead.
I will move ahead - probably in fear, but never the less, I will move forward! Thanks!
Also, thanks for stopping by and encouraging me. I receive those words!