Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Real Deal

Well… I’ve had confirmation that I’m supposed to do this seminar on marriage.

The first thing that happened is I had an “incident” at home. In order to protect the innocence (cough, cough) of certain parties, suffice it to say that I allowed myself to become offended. Then I held on to my attitude and the small issue escalated out of proportion. I trust that has never happened to you. Of course, I started having thoughts like, “who am I to teach on marriage when I’m still figuring this out myself!” Actually, how could I possibly encourage others if I didn’t walk it out myself? I promise I won’t misrepresent myself by saying I have perfected the art of being married. But I am happily married and continue to learn daily how to remain so.

The second confirmation (ahem) came through my best friend. She isn’t a blog reader, so I called to tell her what I’d decided on for a topic. She didn’t stop laughing for 5 minutes. This didn’t offend me at all, as she has been my friend for 30 years and she has seen it all. I figured she was just overcome with joy. I am happy to be able to bring so much amusement into her day.

I’ll leave you with a favorite story told by a pastor’s wife who was teaching on marriage at a seminar I attended years ago. She was recounting an “incident” in her home when she had made a costly mistake with their checking account. In anger, her husband said, “You sure are pretty but how can you be so stupid?” She came back with, “God made me pretty so you’d marry me. And God made me stupid so I’d marry you! I thought that was hilarious. I doubt if she really said that. I never think that fast on my feet - it’s like 4 hours later when good comeback lines hit me. (Probably for my own protection.)

So there you have it. I’m excited. Keep the comments coming on possible titles. I really like your ideas. The giveaway is open through Saturday and you can leave your thoughts on this post too.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your seat belt buckled because you know whenever you try to do something that makes the enemy angry (like help marriages) he will try to tell you lies and cause problems to discourage you. Hang in there and know that God will use you and your wisdom to strengthen marriages. That is so needed! I'll be praying for you!

Kelly said...

Like Carol (above) said, the devil will certain try to discourage you from talking on ANY subject for God by telling you that you don't have it right. Just don't listen to that liar. :O

I love your story today. Too funny about the Pastors wife! I'd heard it before as a joke, so I suspect she was telling it in fun. But oh what fun!

Edie said...

You must be doing the right thing and have something to teach to have the enemy all wadded up at you. Stay strong. Will pray for you.

sara said...

Thank you for your sweet post...I do covet your prayers!

I'm with you! I don't think fast on my feet...it irritates me when I come up with a good response hours or days later....but it probably is for my benefit too!! that story is great though!

We so need good, REAL examples of marriage these days. I will be praying for you as you put this together!

Merrie said...

It is that love/hate relationship thing. I love it when God confirms something. I hate it when He uses my weaknesses to do it! I suppose I should receive it as being teachable and there is still hope because God is revealing things. However, at the time it is very painful!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I am so glad God doesn't wait for us to be perfect to use us! I loved your marriage story, so funny! My husband and I are leading 5 other couples through a marriage book. We always seem to have an " incident" before.... I think it makes us rely on God more and not our experiences.

Skoots1moM said...

thanks for telling me about his now playing the shofar...how cool is that??!!

you'll have to post a video of his playing it....
i think the video from godtube is awesome...its and eery, Godly sound...sometimes it sounds like a moan...
anyway,
thanks for the feedback....

My ADHD Me said...

When a repairman came to our house the other day, my husband warned him before they entered..."My wife is great to look at and fun to be around but she doesn't know much about housework."

Maybe some people would have been offended, but I took it as a compliment.

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

I often feel as a family minister that I have nothing to offer...and it is then I realize I don't! But God does!

I wish I had a snazzy title for you :( Whatever you call it, I'm sure it will be great, because the Greater One will be at the helm.

Kelly said...

Just wanted to say I loved your poem at my blog. Thanks for entering. Remember you can enter once a day all week, but must have a new poem each time.

:D

Greg C said...

I am pretty good with quick comebacks but my family hates it when I do. They just don't have the same sense of humor that I have. Recently my wife had an operation and the doctor came in and told her she couldn't participate in a particular adult activity for a few weeks. She turned to me and said "you did hear that didn't you?" I said "yes but remember he was only talking about you." She glared at me. What did I say?