Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rebel with a Cause

There’s a rebel hiding in me. My mother could testify to this for sure. I’m sure my husband could also add a testimony or ten. I rebel selectively, and one thing I tend to rebel over is the medical system. This is a good and a bad thing. Let me explain.

The rebellion is seated in the fact that I think our culture deifies doctors. As in we tend to think they are all knowing, all powerful and hold our lives in their hands. Furthermore, doctors are trained to think linear. Western medicine primarily provides answers along the lines of drugs and surgery. I have a problem with this. Don’t get me wrong, I respect doctors and their education and there are times when I will run to them immediately (i.e. broken bones and such). I also think that in our lawsuit-happy culture, our medical system orders all kinds of tests that cost a gazillion dollars and are preventing the doctor from getting sued, rather than helping me toward better health.

I also think that each of is given wisdom from God as to what our body needs. Of course actually listening is the challenge. I also believe that many answers are found in methods that other cultures tuned into centuries ago, like chiropractic, homeopathy, nutrition and herbs. All that said, I resist conventional health paths. I’m either an intellectual or fruitcake, depending on your perspective.

Bear with me, I’m getting to the story.

When my sibling was diagnosed with cancer 10 years ago, I was told to immediately go have a very unpleasant screening procedure. Didn’t go. Moffat Cancer Center contacted me to participate in a study that was designed to motivate siblings of people with colon cancer. I participated in the study to get the $50 gift card but didn’t go. All along, I told family and medical folks I would go when everyone is supposed to go, when I turn 50.

Yesterday, I went. It wasn’t quite as bad as the procrastination had built it up to be. And it did cost a gazillion dollars, which I would have loved to spend on something pleasant. But I’m so glad it’s behind me now. My rebellion was temporarily tethered. I am super thankful that I got an absolutely clean bill of health and attribute that to God, not anything I’ve done. In parting, the doctor said, “I’ll see you back in 5 years.” And I’m, thinking, “You better make that 10.” Snicker.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Beverly! I see your point, but I am the opposite. Not that I run to the dr every second, but that I am a "legalist." If you are supposed to go to the dentist every 6 mos, I go. Mammogram at 40, done. I am a rule follower.

But I am against this take a pill for everything society we live in.

Thought provoking post! I'm so happy you got a clean bill of health. Amen!

Beverlydru said...

Postscript - for some reason I go by the rules with dental care, despite my deep-seated fear of pain. I go every 6 months. Go figure.