Friday, April 3, 2009

Everyday Epiphanies - That Lady in the Mirror

Is it because women are natural nurturers that we tend to take better care of others than we do of ourselves? Today’s Epiphany, or “Aha!” reflection is that if I don’t take care of myself, I won’t be able to be who I want to be or do what I want to do. In the turbulent times we’re living in, it seems that efforts to stay positive have to move up a notch. I want to be the one leading the way in a life well-lived. So I need to be kind to that lady in the mirror. Here’s a short list of what works for me:

Talk nice. To Yourself. My self-talk can become toxic to productivity unless I consciously rein it in. Since it’s the dialogue in my head and no one else hears it, it’s a matter of self-discipline to speak faith-filled words instead of degrading my own efforts.

Health is Wealth. As much as I say I don’t like to exercise, I feel so much better when I do it. Eating well gives me more energy too. And both of these contribute to being at my “happy weight”.

Live with Passion. Many things will catch your eye, but only a few things will catch your heart. Pursue those. ~ Mac Anderson.

Do the Least Enjoyable Thing on Today’s List. NOW. Procrastination is opportunity’s natural assassin.

Fast the News. As much as I desire to be informed, the plethora of bad news weighs me down. I’m reading and watching less news for now.

Laugh. Laughter is an instant vacation.

You take care of you for me and I’ll take care of me for you. Deal?

Only one week remains in my Lenten challenge of Everyday Epiphanies. I’ve enjoyed the journey. If you have a post that relates that you’d like to share, link up here:

5 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

i so needed your kind words this morning...praying you have a fan-ta-bulous weekend...We're off to retreat with 170 high schoolers!!

Kathleen said...

A good word! I think how often Jesus Himself got away to pray & rest, and how He often took his disciples away the same way.

I've learned (though it took me nearly all of my 61 years) to say "no" to a lot of things ... even good things ... when I need to rest, or reflect, or eat chocolate.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

Rita Loca said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love new readers, especially ones who leave me a comment.
I am curious, how did you find me?

Shelly Wildman said...

What a great list--I think I'll be coming back to it again! I am a terrible procrastinator, so I really liked what you said about it stealing our opportunities. Thanks for that!

Ballerina Girl said...

Deal! I agree with this so much...I feel so much better after exercising...I need to not put myself down, inside my head! I so enjoy not living in the US and hearing all the bad news...though I still read the internet, but at least I have a choice then (though I guess you can always just turn off the tv, right?!)
and my Grandmother always reminded me to laugh!
Great post, thank you!
BG