Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Transcending Love

I had a conversation yesterday that was deep and touching and real. I just pray that I said the “right” things. My heart told me to speak words of love, and I’d rather err on the side of extravagant love, if I’m going to err.

Someone I care deeply about that is gay called and said, “I want to know how you handle my sexuality in light of what I know you believe about the Bible.” Wow – let’s just get right to the point. You can believe I sent up quick prayer for wisdom and guidance!

I responded by saying, “I love you. I can handle it because I love you. And Jesus loves you. That’s why he came. He sees us in our humanity – all of our mistakes, our wrong thinking, our sin, and knows we aren’t qualifed to have a relationship with a holy God. So he comes and offers forgiveness and shows us right into our Father’s presence. There are no big sins and little sins. Homosexuality is not a bigger sin than addictions, or unforgiveness or gossip, or anything else we can name that separates us from God. The Bible says that ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. So in that way, your need is not any greater than mine was when I came to Jesus and confessed my need of Him.”

She then told me that the biggest weight she carries is shame. A heavy burden indeed. Jesus knows all about it.

I didn’t tell her what she needed to do. I didn’t take the opportunity to preach. I’m pretty sure that caught her by surprise, since when she had started the discussion, I had sensed her defensive tone. I am so thankful that she initiated an open dialogue and listened. When we got off the phone, she thanked me for talking to her about it! I am humbled. I pray that another chunk of the blinders fell from her eyes so that she can see the light of heaven drawing her.

3 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

Tears again. I told you I had PMS this week, everyone's blogs are making me cry. What beautiful words. I pray that if this question is ever posed to me God will give me the right words to answer. I'm so thankful for transcending love!

Sissy Hand said...

I am with uncommon blonde....I got teary. I really have missed your words of wisdom and sincerity. Growing up I really admired you and your ever growing love for God. I am so blessed to have had you in my youthful life, and that you are still in my life and I truly believe God allowed you to be in my life again so that I can remember what that love is like! Thank you!

Merrie said...

That is powerful! God's love is amazing and does transcend all the bad. I pray with you that the blinders are lifted from her eyes and that she is drawn by the wonder and love of Jesus.
Thanks for your honesty and love.