Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Faith, Hope and Love

I read an email today from a person who cites Ben Franklin as one of his heroes. As I read the quotes attributed to Ben, it reminded me of my Dad. I heard these words many times from him.

“Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today."
"Take time for all things: great haste makes great waste."
"Well done is better than well said."

My Dad was on the quiet side, so when he had something to say, people listened. He moved to heaven a full 17 years ago. Hard to believe that much time has passed because he has not faded one bit in my memory. I am so fortunate that I can say my Dad was one of my heroes.

My Dad left me with many gifts. He taught me music as a first language. That has enriched my life in immeasurable ways. But the greatest gift he gave me was unconditional love. The value of that gift is really indescribable. How is that even human? Ah - I guess it’s not. Through his relationship with our heavenly Father, my Dad showered our family with that which he had received from the heart of God. Dad did get angry with me, and he disciplined me, but I never ever doubted his love for me. As a teenager, when I knew it all for a few brief years, he would listen to me. Really listen. He wouldn’t interrupt to tell me where I was missing it. He would ask questions that would make me think. I am thankful that my Dad gave me the security of being well loved. I am eternally grateful that he showed me the way into a relationship with my heavenly Father through his actions and a life well lived.

I want to be like my Dad. I want my life to be a love letter written to all men.

“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”
I Cor. 13:13

1 comment:

Tipp said...

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for stopping by! I grew up in NW FL and love finding blogs of people from near "home"

I hope to hear from you soon! Thanks for reading!