Monday, January 11, 2010

On the Hunt...

I’m on the hunt for wisdom and knowledge and what an adventure it is. I’ve listened to a wide spectrum of speakers in the past week that have inspired me and caused me to think. It's said,“you’ll be the same person a year from today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” The truth of that encourages me that this will be a very good year!

The first speaker last week was a man with a common name but an uncommon message, Bill Johnson. I attended a conference in Alabama that I registered for after watching this video that I posted in October. I could write a book about what I learned, but it was so powerful that I’m still absorbing and processing it. I’ll be sharing nuggets along the way. Life-changing stuff.

It’s easier to share some take-aways from a business teleconference I attended. Author Alan Weiss was scheduled to teach speakers how to write more effective proposals. His tips on writing in general were fascinating. He insisted you should never “dumb down” your material, as many encourage writers to do. I was interested when he stated two things he looks for in smart people. First is a sense of humor and the second is breadth of vocabulary.

I reflected on his comment when I was challenged today by a difficult person and went hunting for my sense of humor. I’ve been teaching that stellar customer service is one of the essentials to shining in today’s economy. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

3 comments:

Sharon Lovejoy said...

THIS is WONDERFUL!

Thanks for zinging up my day.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Robin Lambright said...

Breadth of vocabulary...illuminating, and now I can't think of any other interesting adjectives, I guess my vocabulary need another shot of caffeine.

Blessings
Robin

sara said...

love this!!!