Sunday, April 13, 2008

Plantation Day

Did I already mention I love weddings? The one I attended yesterday was full of emotion for all the expected reasons and some unexpected ones as well. It was another beautiful setting, just north of Tallahassee on an old (and now exclusive) plantation. It was poignant for me as the beautiful bride came down the aisle (and what bride is not totally beautiful?!) to remember the first white I ever saw her in was her diapers. Time is surely fleeting. Our daughter was married 5 years ago on the plantation just south of where we were and that was an unforgettably wonderful day.

Some fascinating history was thrown in as well. The reception was held in the building where the first showing of Gone With the Wind took place. The ceremony was held by the "pool house", where immediately following the ceremony, a peacock entertained us with his strutting. He did eventually show his full fan, but since I am no photographer, I didn't capture that.

I learned something unexpected on this occasion. This event created a gathering of business colleagues in a social situation. I found it to be cathartic. We all work together daily, often under stress to meet deadlines, goals and fulfill stringent demands for excellence. I don't recall that we have ever just done something relaxing or fun together in 7 years of business. It was good to do that. I think we all needed an opportunity to see each other in a setting outside of the daily hustle. I know my attitude was refreshed.

4 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

The observation you made about socializing with colleagues really interests me. Youth ministries flow pretty fast and free, but we don't actually socialize a lot together outside that context. Our church tries to foster that kind of team building (the natural kind, not the forced kind) because the more you emotionally invest in other people, the more cohesive you are and also more flexible. On another note, the weddings you talked about sound like a dream to me. I've never seen a plantation; I would LOVE to.

Merrie said...

I love it when you share about Tallahassee and the plantations. It is like a letter from "home". I love where I am, but also can get a little "homesick" at times and your posts help me.
Thanks...

I do not have much opportunity to "socialize" with my coworkers. That is a good idea.

Uncommon Blonde said...

What if you don't like your co-workers? LOL Just kidding, I think in the right setting, this kind of time together can definitely be beneficial.

Beverlydru said...

Not like co-workers?! Some days you definitely don't - when they are on your last nerve. Reminds me of the poster, "I have PMS and a handgun. Any questions?" That was the revelation... "Oh yeah, these are nice people!" Most of them show that side of themselves daily. But then there are those.... enough said. : )