Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Legends & Lore in the Deep South

I have had the awesome opportunity to travel to many countries and am always fascinated to learn about the people, the food, the culture, etc. Savannah, Georgia does not disappoint when it comes to history, legends and lore. More than a camera, I needed a tape recorder yesterday on our tour of this beautiful little city.

Our tour guide sounded like Gomer Pyle’s cousin and looked like Rosie the Riveter’s
sister. She entertained us with her accent and her stories, including a recounting of her worst job as an onion picker. She said building carburetors was better than picking onions, but those jobs make being a tour guide seem like a picnic in the park. And boy oh boy does Savannah have parks. The city is laid out in 24 squares and each sqaure has a park in the middle of it.

We passed a restaurant on the way to Savannah that gets the prize for the worst name ever for an eatery. Squat and Gobble. Doesn’t that make you want to invite all your friends to meet you there?

We had a fun day and I’ve enjoyed a heaping portion of laughter. My sister could be a stand-up comic in her spare time with her unique brand of humor.

We’re off to the ferry to go to Dafuskie Island today and I am thankful for the opportunity to ignore the state of our country. I watched enough news to want to escape into vacation land. That’s all I have to say about that.

4 comments:

Fuschia said...

At least it wasn't Gobble THEN Squat! *giggle*

Getting Healthy Together said...

My favorite restaurant in Savannah is the Pirate's House. Don't even know if it is still there!
Barbara

The Equipped Life said...

Ohhhhhh... FUSCHIA!!! lol

Rosie the Riveter!! Our church provides an afterschool kids program and one of their new bulletin boards is a Rosie the Riveter with all the little girls in the kerchief and denim shirt with their 'biceps bulging'. I'll see if I can take a picture of it and share it on my church blog.

I've never been to Georgia but daughter has and loves it.

Kelly said...

Continue to enjoy your trip!