Thursday, November 27, 2008

Abe Started It!

On October 3, 1863, an Act of Congress designated an annual National Day of Thanksgiving as proclaimed by President Abraham Lincoln:

"I do, therefore, invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States… to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens…it is announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord…It has seemed to me fit and proper that God should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged, as with one heart and one voice, by the whole American people."
Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise, Be thankful to Him,and bless His Holy name. Psalm 100:4

3 comments:

Ballerina Girl said...

Happy Thanksgiving Beverly...
BG

Kelly said...

I just learned something. Probably re-learned it (certainly I learned it in school?)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING BEVERLY!

Edie said...

Thanks for posting this Beverly. I have to admit that I did not know this was when Thanksgiving became a national Holiday. It's sad that most Americans don't even know who to give thanks to these days. I wonder what Lincoln would think now.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!