Monday, November 10, 2008

Fall Into Flavor


This is the first time I’ve participated in Fall into Flavor over at 2nd Cup of Coffee as I have been rather uninspired lately in the kitchen. (You can click over to her site for more great recipes!)

Since we are galloping toward the holidays, I decided to review my recipes and start stocking up on non-perishable ingredients that are standard fare. Linda asked for recipes with lots of butter and this one doesn’t have butter, but I figured the cheese would provide the requisite amount of fat. ; )

This squash casserole is a family favorite and is always part of my holiday menu. When I take it to my cousin’s at Christmas, I make 2 because there’s more than 20 people there and everyone loves it. I also take it to pot-lucks and the dish is always empty - a good sign! It’s not a difficult recipe and you can chop the squash and grate the cheese the day before.

Squash Casserole
2-3 lbs yellow crookneck squash
salt & pepper to taste
1 onion
1 sleeve Club Crackers (crushed)
8 oz block sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk

1. Chop squash & onion. Season to taste. Cook until tender. (I use a steamer basket)
Drain & set aside.
2. Put a sleeve of Club crackers in a gallon ziplock bag and crush with rolling pin.
3. Grate cheese.
4. In a small bowl, beat 2 eggs. Stir milk into eggs.
5. In a deep casserole dish, layer squash, crackers, cheese, squash, crackers, cheese.
6. Pour egg and milk mixture over top of casserole.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. (Cheese should be lightly browned on top).

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Greg C said...

I love a good squash casserole. Maybe I will make one for thanksgiving. We need to try new things.

Merrie said...

That makes me want to go back to Georgia for a fellowship meal. Out here, they just don't know how to make a good casserole... I should take this to our next meal.

Uncommon Blonde said...

This is the best! It would not be a holiday meal without it :)

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

This is the PERFECT dish for church pot-luck! OH YES! YUM...
Thank you. I'm going to print out and add to the collection. Someone in my church will be asking and I'll send them to your blog.
Kindest Thoughts,
~esthermay

Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! It may even be some competition for our usual broccoli casserole for the holidays!

sara said...

this sounds delicious!!! I am going to have to try it!

Edie said...

Anything with lightly browned cheese on top HAS to be good!

I wish I had the imagination to come up with an idea like webkinz too! LOL.

Gwendolyn said...

I've never made squash casserole, but my mom did once and my oldest LOVED it. Sadly, my mother promptly forgot how she made it. I'll have to write this recipe down! :o)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I have never, ever had a squash casserole! I'm not sure I know what a crookneck is, so I'll have to Google that one. thanks for offering up something that's not so common, at least around here. I'm so glad you jumped in this week!