Monday, August 10, 2009

Lift Up Your Heads!

I have been captivated with studying “gates” since my return from Central America last month. I’ve seen locks before; I’ve been on a ship that cruised the St. Lawrence Seaway and we had to go through locks on our way to the Atlantic ocean. But observing this engineering feat at the Panama Canal made a bigger impression on me than I was even aware of at the time. The Panama Canal is 50 miles long, extending from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean Sea.

I visited the MiraFlores Locks and the vision of those giant gates has been on my mind continually. I’m sure it’s because of prayer. To clarify, I was praying for provision for a couple that is planting a church in Miami and I immediately pictured the gates at the Panama Canal opening with an amazing outpouring of water. We’re talking ginormous gates and millions of gallons of water. This picture captures a photo of the water just “leaking’ in.Lift up your heads, O you gates;
Lift them up, you ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
Who is he, this King of glory?
The Lord Almighty – he is the King of glory.
Psalm 24: 9,10The first photo and this last photo were taken at a point about midway through the canal. There's only a 45 minute segment every day when ships are going both directions as they change the traffic flow each day. I happened to see it.

3 comments:

Zuzana said...

Incredible pictures of an incredible event, what a great experience.;))
I love "channel locks and gates", aren't they just fascinating to watch?
I have never been on a boat that went through one, but in Prague, there are many on the river that runs through the city and I always like to watch them in action.

Kathleen said...

Oooo! This made me think of the Ballard Lochs in Seattle. My family loved to visit them, and I can tell by your post that they provided residual stories in your life, as in mine.

Thank you for sharing,
Kathleen

SusanD said...

Great pictures. Trivia: Did you know the bricks used to build the Panama Canal came from my area in southern Illinois? It's true. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD