Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Where Did you Come From?

Our Rosebud - 5 days old.

The outpouring of love at the annoucement of Rosebud's birth moves me deeply. It's hard to find the words to express how rich the blessing of this little life is, but a poet has done it it for me.
Proceed with caution if you're not in a private place. This poem is likely to cause leaking eyes.

Where Did you Come From?

Where did you come from, baby dear?
Out of the everywhere into the here.

Where did you get those eyes so blue?
Out of the sky as I came through.

What makes the light in them sparkle and spin?
Some of the starry spikes left in.

Where did you get that little tear?
I found it waiting when I got here.

What makes your forehead so smooth and high?
A soft hand strok’d it as I went by.

What makes your cheek like a warm white rose?
I saw something better than any one knows.

Whence that three-corner’d smile of bliss?
Three angels gave me at once a kiss.

Where did you get this pearly ear?
God spoke, and it came out to hear.

Where did you get those arms and hands?
Love made itself into bonds and bands.

Feet, whence did you come, you darling things?
From the same box as the cherubs’ wings.

How did they all just come to be you?
God thought about me, and so I grew.

But how did you come to us, you dear?
God thought about you, and so I am here.

- George McDonald


P.S. Uncommon Blonde has been polishing her photography skills in the last year. I'm impressed.

14 comments:

Melanie said...

Beautiful...baby & poem
Melanie@Bella~Mella

Heidi said...

That is a beautiful poem and oh, what a beautiful baby!
Heidi

Mocha with Linda said...

My mom used to quote that poem.

Sweet, sweet baby. Enjoy your time!

Shelly Wildman said...

So, so beautiful.

Saleslady371 said...

Rosebud is so gorgeous. Her mom's photography is excellent. What a pleasure to look at her. Bet you are so proud, grandma. Cherish these days with daughter and granddaughter...I know you are. There is nothing like em!!!

Sue said...

She is so adorabele! Rosebud, indeed!

My ADHD Me said...

You know by now that I am a realist. Sometimes too blunt or realistic. For instance, all babies are not beautiful to me. They are all special and sweet and cuddley but there are just a handful, in my 2 cent opinion, that make the beautiful mark....Well, guess what. This is one BEAUTIFUL Rosebud. And the pictures are fantastic too. They look professional.

I am so happy for you!

Kelly said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

babychick said...

oh my goodness! she is precious! I know you are proud!

Greg C said...

I am going to be totally honest here. I don't think most babies are cute. But I have to admit that that is one good looking baby. Must be good genes.

sara said...

so beautiful!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Beautiful baby and beautiful poem.....Love your blog

Merrie said...

Just beautiful! You are right about the poem and that precious little one... oh my goodness! Perfection! There is just no way to know how much these little ones change your life forever!
We just had our 6th and my emotions welled up in me just the same as with the first... and the joy and love and excitement don't diminish with more!
Blessings on you and your precious family!

Reasons said...

Yes the tears are here! Lovely though. I have been back and read for a good catch up. You've been busy! I'd better not leave it so long next time. The photo is gorgeous by the way. xx