Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Have You Seen My Stars & Stripes?

This week, someone stole the American flag we proudly fly at our gate. Apparently, the thief made it to the class on patriotism but missed the one on integrity. The timing is interesting, as I’ve been writing on the “character quotient”, a critical element of leadership that sadly, seems to be in short supply in just about every echelon of society.

I've been reflecting this week on the importance of personal leadership as a foundational element in the fabric of our culture. Someone is watching each and every one of us - so essentially- we're all leading someone. You don't have to have title or rank to make a difference.

As I thought of the sad person who took our flag, I was reminded of Fulghum's book, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". I guess someone in my neighborhood needs to go back to kindergarten.

True greatness comes when you’re trusted. ~ Teddy Roosevelt

1 comment:

Uncommon Blonde said...

I'd be willing to be it was kids who were out drinking and riding back roads. There's really no other reason someone would steal a flag right?!