Monday, December 31, 2007

What’s Your Dream?

A new beginning… a clean slate… a New Year. I used to spend quite a bit of time at the beginning of each year writing out specific goals for myself in all areas of my life. (Financial, mental, physical, spiritual, emotional.) I still set goals, but I find they are simpler these days. I still believe in specifics, but I am a “big picture” person.

My long-standing favorite definition of success was penned by Ralph Waldo Emerson and reads like this:

To laugh often and much;

to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of old and new friends;
to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition;
to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
     Ralph Waldo Emerson

So you see, success is reachable for all of us. I have to remind myself that anything is possible, notwithstanding past disappointments.


If you need a little lift as you prepare for 2008, I suggest a site I recently discovered: Simpletruths.com. There are some awesome & inspiring short movies. My favorite to date is about Johnny the bagger with the main message that “your life can make a difference.” Good stuff.

3 comments:

Uncommon Blonde said...

Yeah! You've started and you've already got a biggest fan - me! This blog is good stuff. I look forward to reading more.

Sissy Hand said...

I saw your blog through Jessica's (I am addicted to hers)...and definitley wanted to check it out and say hello. I hope you have had a wonderful holiday and a happy new year! I cannot wait to read more! Much love!

PS
This is Sissy

Beverlydru said...

Thank you for your encouraging comments! I am excited about this new world of communication.

May your New Year be filled with peace of mind, happiness that multiplies, health for you and yours, energy to chase your dreams and joy to fill your heart!